Polyamory, swinging, open relationships, DADT arrangements, polyandry, polygyny, and other forms of consensual non-monogamy are all valid forms of relationships that come with their own unique challenges. People in these types of relationships have the same issues that others in more “conventional” relationships experience, such as communication challenges, different parenting styles, and conflicts about finances. Consensually non-monogamous people also struggle with other concerns that include.
- Negotiations with partners regarding time and energy for all.
- Safe(r) sex discussions and condom agreements
- Integrating a new partner into the multi-partnered household
- Parenting agreements between more than two parental former partners
- Estate planning, legal protections and authority, hospital visitation, and zoning laws
- Discrimination, intolerance, and ostracization by family(s) of origin.
- Jealousy, Compersion, and New Relationship Energy (NRE)